‘Tis the season for rankings and “best of”-lists. Like this one by The New York Times or this one by Ron Charles for The Washington Post.
Last Saturday, the members of HoCoPoLitSo’s Board of Directors and staff met for our last meeting of the year. And we, too, shared our list of “Best Thing I Read in 2013.” So here it is!
- TransAtlantic by Colum McCann
- Bluets by Maggie Nelson
- Elizabeth Bishop and The New Yorker: The Complete Correspondence
- City of Veils by Zoe Ferrais
- Americanah by Chimamanda Adichie
- The Complete Poems of Anna Akhmatova
- The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes
And the grand winner of this list is Someone by Alice McDermott – named by three Board members and staff as their “Best Thing I Read in 2013.” You know who else liked Someone? NPR’s Maureen Corrigan – and you can see her picks for 2013 best books here.
Want to see more lists for best books?
– Laura Yoo